Mention just the word needle and you’re sure to see quite the reaction from some skittish people. The fear of needles is fairly common as most people associate the pointed fiend with doctor visits, painful shots, immunizations and of course, the dreaded IV. But needles have been utilized to bring positive comprehensive affects in both Eastern and Western medicine for hundreds of years. Though there remains some speculation and debate as to its origin and history, the benefits of acupuncture are easy to see and attested to often. Proponents of the medical technique of acupuncture believe that it delivers the following benefits when performed correctly:
- Relief to chronic back pain. Patients have reported a 15% or more reduction in pain after sessions.
- Increased medication efficacy. A Chinese study published in the Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine found that acupuncture therapy coupled with low doses of Prozac was just as effective as higher doses of medication for reducing anxiety.
- Alleviates heartburn and indigestion. Brazilian researchers found that acupuncture reduced symptoms of digestive upset and allowed participants to reduce the amount of antacid use.
- Reduced side effects from cancer radiation. Studies published by the American Cancer Society reported that cancer patients that received acupuncture therapy perceived fewer negative effects during radiation treatments.
- Relief from chronic headaches. Numerous studies have shown to support the claim that acupuncture helps to reduce the severity and frequency of chronic tension headaches and migraines.
Experience the benefits of acupuncture at Third Space Medical for yourself. Contact us online today, or call 201.639.0451 in Ridgewood to schedule your appointment.